My final project for this class was a challenge. I created a deck of cards that would use the remainder of my check list and work as gifts for my family. After I was unable to get a price quote for producing mass quantities of my magnetic book, I had to fall back on something else. So, I chose something that was useful and I thought I could use variable data.
I started this project with 28 cards and the box. That was 2 suits of 13 cards, plus two jokers. I was originally going to have the symbols for the cards be done by variable data, however, I realized this would have taken a lot more work for the printer. Instead, I created the shapes and substituted them in myself. This brought my “pages” total up to 55. (52 cards, +2 business cards + 2 Jokers).
One of the most fun parts of this project was also the most challenging. I hand drew the face cards to use as my bitmap images. I had to start by sectioning off a rectangle for my image area, then drew the face of the character, then copied the image and taped it on the opposite side. This gave me two identical “shoulders”. I filled one in, then copied and taped again to create the final product. Then the whole image was scanned in and corrected in Adobe CS5 Photoshop. Here I manipulated the color and direction they were facing (so that I could make then 4 suits) as well as shrunk the size so that they would fit on my cards. I did this process with all three cards.
The logo was based off a logo I made my sophomore year.
I really enjoyed working on this project, however when it was printed I found some problems. First, I had not set up an individual document for the back cover of my cards. I talked to my printer about this and he pulled it out into a new document. The printing process wasn’t difficult after that. However, when I got my cards I was severely disappointed. I had asked for my cards to be cut to their 2”x3” measurements. When I got them back they were almost 1/4” shorter than I’d asked for on both sides. I had also had to make a guess on the width of the box because I didn’t know how thick the cards would stack. The box is just a little bit too thin.
I do not have the money at this time to re-print my cards, but I will probably adjust it for future use.