Rights of Use:

All images in this blog are the personal work of Megan McFall. Use them by permission only and give credit to their creator.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

FSRTC Session


At the FSRTC conference, the session I went to was about photography. Dr. Robert C Wiseman from Eastern Illinois gave the lecture. In it he gave the audience the definitions of the terms F/stop, ISO, and Shutter speed.  Knowing these terms was important in understanding photography and the rest of his lecture. 
I am in my first photography class right now, and one of the things I wish I had been able to work with was film.  Dr. Wiseman told us about Black and White Processes for film development, and walked through the history of the camera up until the digital age.  Although film would be fun, I can really appreciate being able to save multiple copies of work in Photoshop, as well as the history log if I make a simple mistake!   At the end of the presentation we got to see some of the film photos that Dr. Wiseman took. 
One of the things I really learned was the focal length divided by diameter will create my F/stop.  I also learned that F 1.4 is the highest F/stop, but I did not find out what the lowest F/stop was.  F 22 is the lowest I’ve heard of in class.  We were given the most common F/stops and shutter speeds, although these will have to be adjusted depending on the allowances of your personal camera to get the best shot.
Towards the end we saw Dr. Wiseman’s homemade pin-hole camera.  I was pretty surprised that it didn’t require a lens, but he took a picture of a student, and it actually worked. He also made a comment about Polaroid, saying that they weren’t worried about their cameras, only about selling film.  Currently 10 pictures would cost $9.99.  When you can do so much digitally it’s brand name that’s keeping the film industry going.
I was glad to have taken the time to attend this session, and wish there were more graphics sessions available time wise so that it would be easier to fit them into my schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment